Friday, March 28, 2014

Day 4: Life Experiences and Lessons Learned

It has been pretty hard keeping up with these blog posts as every night ends with all of us experiencing pure exhaustion. Wednesday kept with the same pace as all the other days thus far on the trip. We would be serving at Operation Night-watch, the YWCA and Neighborhood House.We were all tired but in very high spirits we would say goodbye to all the women at the YWCA. Many of our favorite parts of the day were serving these women. Tears were shed as many of us connected on a deeper level with the women. For me I had the privilege of meeting a woman that reminded me of my mom. The two lines that showed on each side of her face reminded me of the marks on my mom's face, and her chocolate skin, and familiar demeanor reminded me of home. Nervously I sat across from her sparingly looking over wanting to ask her where she was from. Little did I know that her and I would have more in common than what I thought I knew at first glance. In time I got the courage to say, "Ma'am, where are you from?"

Surprised she paused looked at me and said that she lived in Portland, but was originally from Nigeria.

Both of my parents are from Nigeria.

What I would later find out was that she was also from the exact same tribe as my mom. I was instantly captivated by her strength and her resiliency. We talked about her life, my life, the expectations that come with being Nigerian and even her desires to make a better life for her and her children. In time I felt moved by her story. It brought me to tears. So I simply asked her, "Are you happy?" 

She paused and said, "Yes, I am".

Despite all she had been through she was happy, and in no similar way has my life been as hard, and yet there were many things I'm not happy with. 

In time our discussion faded, I said a few words of encouragement to her and we said goodbye.

I don't know why I met her but I think it to be a God thing. It isn't everyday you meet a random stranger that has so much in common down to her life story lining up with you or someone you know. Maybe I met her because I needed to be encouraged in who I am. Maybe the woman needed me. I do not know, but all I know is that my encounter with her touched me. Changed me, and reminded me of how much I love my mom and my family. It also reminded me of how precious life is, and how easily my parents story could have been very similar to hers, and more specifically why I have every reason to take pride in my culture. 

Many of the students shared similar stories of those they met on Wednesday. One student talked about meeting an elderly 89 year old robust and yet youthful looking woman named Estelle. Estelle talked about her passion and love for writing. Even opening up to the point of letting our student read portions of her life story she had written. Another student talked about similar experienceswith another   woman at the shelter.

Overall the day was a great day. After finishing up from the YWCA the group headed to Neighborhood House to tutor. As always tutoring the kids was a pleasant and wonderful time. We are on the straightaway now of this week, and getting ready to head back home. I think I speak for the entire team when I say it has been a life changing and great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment